Apprentices work at an Automotive business and come to VIU for 7 weeks each year for technical training. To find out how to register for technical training, please see our Apprenticeship programs or call 250-740-6227. The 4 levels of the apprenticeship program are listed below:
Level 1 (7 weeks)
- Auto shop Safety
- Technical information resources and technology
- Basic and measuring tools, thread repair, power tools, pipe tubing, fasteners, shop equipment.
- Steering and Suspension systems
- Brake systems, including antilock and traction control
- Basic electricity, batteries, electrical circuitry and meters.
Level 2 (6 weeks)
- Gasoline and diesel engines
- Starting systems, charging systems and auxiliary circuits.
- Basic diesel injection systems
- Air conditioning systems
- Refrigerant handling certification
Level 3 (7 weeks)
- Ignition systems and electronic engine controls
- Fuel composition, carburetion, delivery systems
- Gasoline fuel injection systems
- Turbo, Supercharger and alternative fuel systems
- Emission contol systems and OBD2
Level 4 (6 weeks)
- Clutches, standard transmissions and transaxles
- 4 wheel drive, all wheel drive systems, differentials.
- Automatic transmissions and transaxles
- Air Care administration.
Note: apprentices who graduated from the Automotive Foundation program may receive credit for level 1.
Upon successful completion of all 4 years of technical training, verification of work based training hours, successful completion of the Interprovincial Exam, students will receive their Automotive Service Technician Red Seal Certification.
Automotive Glass Technician
- Perform safety related functions
- Use tools, equipment and supplies
- Organize work and use documentation
- Prepare vechile
- Perform windshield repair
- Remove, repair and install components
- Remove and install glass/materials
- Prepare vehicle for delivery
- Perform troubleshooting procedures