VIU is excited to be offering a 15 week part time Professional Cook Level 3 intake. Now is the time to complete your training and obtain a Red Seal Certification.
Jan 6 - April 14, 2020 - Monday/Tuesdays; 2-7:30pm
B180, Room 156.
You must be a registered apprentice in the Industry. If you aren't a PC3 apprentice, you must have completed PC1 & PC2, you can attend PC3, but will not be eligible to write the IP Exam.
contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Professional Cook (PC1, PC2 and PC3)
The new Cook industry training program will now consist of three distinct progressive credentials:
Professional Cook (PC) 1, 2 and 3. In addition to completing the in-school technical and work-based training components, apprentices will now:
- have a final practical assessment as well as a final written theory exam for each credential,
- need to achieve 70% in both the practical and theory to pass.
- ITA will continue to require a final sponsor sign-off attesting to the apprentice's competency at the end of completing each of PC1, PC2 and PC3.
Each program (PC 1, 2 and 3), technical training, work-based hours, practical evaluation, ITA theory exam and employer/sponsor sign-off must now be completed in sequence before an apprentice can move to the next credential. For the 1-year Certificate Program, the employer/sponsor may be VIU.
There are 2 streams for apprenticeship:
- 1-year Certificate Program - Culinary Arts (Professional Cook) - Institutional Entry, consisting of PC1 (28 weeks) and PC2 (14 weeks); or
- Professional Cook (Workplace Entry - 6 weeks), from industry . VIU offers PC2 and PC3 .
We also offer a 2-year Culinary Diploma Program.